Thursday, September 9, 2010

We Will Always Remember You!

Grandma, Steve, Me, and Pa at our Wedding 5/22/2004

Well, for those of you who don't already know (and haven't noticed my severe lack of connectedness on Facebook and my blog) my Grandfather (Pa) passed away last Friday, September 3. As my Thursday blog stated, we knew it was coming, just didn't know when. I didn't sleep AT ALL Thursday night/Friday morning as I was somewhat expecting a phone call all night. I woke up Friday morning and called Mom to check on her and Grandma and Pa. She said everything was the same, he looked a little worse, but not too much. Less than two hours later, my Dad called me and told me that Pa had passed. It really is a very sweet and sad story.

My grandpa was a very proud man, this rang true right up to the end. He asked Grandma to run to the store and pick up something for him (I don't remember what it was) and after only 5 minutes of her being gone, my mom peeked in on him, and he was gone. He needed Grandma to be gone when he went, he didn't want her to find him. He wanted to protect her from all of that. While this was very sweet on Pa's side, it was heart wrenching to Grandma. She felt like she left him when he needed her most and felt like if she never would have left, he wouldn't have passed. She took his passing VERY hard, which in turn, made it very hard for everyone else, too. Seeing her break down and cry for him was too much for me sometimes. I'm glad my mom is such a strong woman and was able to be there for Grandma through it all.

So, after I got Dad's call, I immediately called Steve and asked him to come home. I had warned all the daycare parents the day before that the end was close, so after I called Steve, I called all of them to come and get and their kids. My daycare parents were amazing. They were so understanding and supportive. I couldn't have asked for anything more. By the time Steve got home from work, the last kid was just being picked up. We went out to lunch and headed to the mall to spend some family time together and to pick up some shoes that I would be needing for the funeral. It was nice to get out of the house and think about something else, if even for a little while. When we got home, I booked my flights home.
Pa and Page's first meeting. March, 2008

Anyway, I got to see my sisters and my brother and their families and my parents and extended family, which was all very nice. I just wish it was under better circumstances. I'm so glad that Pa was doing so well still back in July when we saw him last, so I have a good memory of him. The funeral home was tough and the cemetery was tough, too, especially when they played taps and presented Grandma with the American Flag. (My grandpa ALWAYS said he wanted a full military funeral... and he got it). I think there was closure for all of us and while it was tough, and there may still be tough days ahead, we're all OK. This was definitely for the best. He was in pain and now he's not.

I'm sure Mom will still have hard days, as will Grandma. There are still a lot of decisions to be made, and those won't be easy. I'll try to be there for them as much as I can. Now, it's back to reality and back to life. I do think I'll try and have a new outlook and treasure everyday that I have.

So, Pa... please know that we will miss you and think of you often. Enjoy your time in Heaven with Grandma and Pop Rolves. I know you celebrated Grandma's birthday yesterday, I'm sure with some pie and cards! Enjoy Pop's birthday later next week. We will take care of Mom and Grandma... don't you worry. We love you and miss you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment